Fire safety reminders about candle use
FACT: An estimated 18,000 residential fires are caused each year by the careless or inappropriate use of candles.
– National Candle Association
There’s a special beauty and tranquility to candles, but a lighted candle is also an open flame – and a potential fire hazard if not carefully monitored. In fact, according to the National Candle Association, accidental candle fires account for approximately 5 percent of all U.S. residential fires.
The National Candle Association reminds us of the following tips while burning a candle:
- Never touch or move a burning candle. Never move a votive or container candle when the wax is liquefied.
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down. For a margin of safety, discontinue burning a candle when 2 inches of wax remains (1/2 inch if in a container).
- Extinguish a candle if the flame becomes too high or flickers repeatedly. Let the candle cool, trim the wick, and check for unwanted drafts before re-lighting.
- Always keep the candle within your sight. If you are going to leave the room, be sure to first blow out all candles.
“Should a fire occur in your home, you’ll need to act quickly,” adds Robinson. He urges homeowners to prepare ahead and follow the tips below.
- Have a fire extinguisher handy. Keep at least one on each floor – especially near the kitchen, garage, laundry room and workshop.
- Create a fire safety plan, with a designated meeting place. Talk with your family and make sure everyone knows what to do in case a fire breaks out.
- Designate two exits from your house. If one should be blocked, then you will the other one to use.
- If the home’s rooms and hallways are filled with smoke, then get down close to the floor and crawl to the nearest stairs. You will breathe in less smoke if you stay low.
- If you have a pet, have a plan for taking the pet with you when you leave.
Encompass Ins. Getting Romantic with candles this Valentine’s Day. Word doc.